San Filippo Oratory

The San Filippo Oratory originated in 1656, beginning with their Masses in the church of Santa Lucia. Near the church, they began the community with only three members, before continually growing the number that eventually constituted the Oratory. 1663, negotiations to build a proper church began, nearby St. Lucy. This church was completed in 1666, resulting in a thriving community with its own house and church, within the first 10 years. Eventually, the church was deemed too small by the attending public. It was decided to extend the church by renovation, also adding two side chapels. Work on this started in 1719. In 1722, the original building was joined to the extension to create their larger church, designed by Remoto Broglio di Treia. Work concluded in 1724, and the new church was consecrated in October.
In 1774, the current façade was built, designed by Pietro Augustoni. Recently, this façade has been restored, as some of the original travertine stone has been changed. The interior of the church and the adjacent convent have been worked on as well.
The community of the Oratory was especially good at mission within the public. They made celebrating solemnities and feast days large events. And they focus on including the young people of the community, to get them involved.
Under Napoleonic rule, the government closed everything. This included suppressing the congregation, and, as a result, all the religious dispersed and the oratory closed. But the church remained open. When Napoleonic rule ended, Padre Roberto Carradori became the new head of the Oratory. As a “new founder,” he reopened and revived the community, while also enlarging the building.
A second wave of religious suppression hit Italy, and in January, 1861, the community was once again dispersed and disbanded. Once again, the church remained open and active, but with only one priest as a pastor for the town.
In July 1866, the remaining house of the religious community passed to the local government. They now had the responsibility to maintain it. Beginning in 1862, Recanati City Hall used the building for offices. Eventually in 1921, Benedettucci bought this space back from the government, once again reviving the religious community.